Arriving and Staying!
Entering Costa Rica is essentially hassle free, and can be done with a valid passport. Also, known as a Tourist visa, visitors have at least 90 days to spend in the country (proof of departure may also be needed
for entry). For long-term entrance, there are 6 visa and residency options available, including:
1. Temporary Residency - stay in Costa Rica for one to five years, and with option to
own/collect income from a business ▪ The 3 most common types:
2. Retiree: stay in Costa Rica at least 4 months per year
3. Investor: stay in Costa Rica at least 6 months per year
4. Annuity Holder: stay in Costa Rica at least 4 months per year
5. Permanent Residency: gives temporary residency for a period of three years with the option to legally work (must be renewed every year but does not expire)
6. Citizenship: after seven years of legal residency or naturalization after two years of marriage to a Costa Rican citizen.